Saturday 12 March 2011

Of chairs, checkerboards and cheek

So here I am in the cold grey light of dawn in RL, sitting on one small SL chair that to me is a quantum leap in 'how to make stuff better', and thanks to a hugely talented scripter with a heart of gold.

Yes, it's just a little farmhouse style chair with 4 textures, 3 poses and 3 prims, but  the script makes it easy to choose the options for either rather than clicking on one part of the item for each. Eventually, I'll be using it in other things. Oh, and of course, like all our decor, it's 1L at Vent du Sud

More about the new stuff in other posts but in this one, I wanted to thank the scripter for being so incredibly generous (I'm hoping to repay her by some translations) and a couple of clients for testing the chair as I fiddled with buttons - and being so patient over it (and who went off armed with free stuff but still went and bought things).

SL people can be so lovely.

And a few, less so. Why yes, a small rant is about to happen.


See this? I'll spare you the extra-large version, but I have now found out from a couple of friends that the checkerboard effect over the sea is something to do with viewers so I shall be testing out various alternatives and tweaking my water settings yet again. Or bite the bullet and change viewers for photos (arghhh).

I also asked about it on a group chat where I have been mostly answering questions for over 3 years but now and then ask a few of my own. It is, I should add, a voluntary thing. I think it's great.

So, I had an IM from a guy making a few suggestions about my graphics settings.  I'd actually been through all that, and basically - beyond suggesting different graphics formats, which didn't work - he had no idea either and suggested, as I'd already said, that I would just have to experiment more.

I offered him a lighthouse for ten minutes of his trouble and time, which I tend to do because although this is a group of volunteers, I think it's still nice to offer thanks and perhaps something in kind, if you can.

His reply? "I prefer payment".

My jaw dropped. I said I was surprised since the group was all about volunteers, but asked how much. Never got a reply.

I just hope he is not using the group as a way to make money. How... disappointing.

Then I went back to building, but that stuck in my mind all day.



But yeah, the chairs. I am SO HAPPY about these chairs and so grateful for the help with them. They are in soft, springlike colours and again, yours for 1L. Mod/copy.

Discover them, plus lots of other new stuff, at the Vent du Sud mainstore.

And now, apparently, I have to look for some latex (and I suspect I know who put that comment on yesterday's post, but could be wrong).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your hunch is right!

:*

El Firecaster said...

I have had the same problem when taking large photos with Kirsten's viewer. About half of what I would take I would have to throw away because of it. I finally found that if I turned the picture size down to a MUCH smaller size...actually just a tad smaller than my window size that the checker board effect stopped. I hated that since I wanted to take the bigger pics to cut down on jagged edges, BUT at that smaller size I was able to turn AA up ALL the way without crashing...so that helps some. IF you should find someother way to correct it, I would love to know. Just found your blog...can't wait to visit your store!...:))

El Firecaster said...

I have had the same problem when taking large photos with Kirsten's viewer. About half of what I would take I would have to throw away because of it. I finally found that if I turned the picture size down to a MUCH smaller size...actually just a tad smaller than my window size that the checker board effect stopped. I hated that since I wanted to take the bigger pics to cut down on jagged edges, BUT at that smaller size I was able to turn AA up ALL the way without crashing...so that helps some. IF you should find someother way to correct it, I would love to know. Just found your blog...can't wait to visit your store!...:))

ARIADNE KORDA said...

Thank youuuuuuu.... but what do you mean "smaller than the window size"? I usually use about 1600 x 1200 resolution on snapshots and not reduce the SL window itself... maybe that?
I have AA pretty high already.

And am avoiding sea pics but it is a NUISANCE.

El Firecaster said...

My window size is about 1264 X? I am not sure of the exact measurments right now...but if I set the pic to slightly smaller than that...such as 1216 X?....then I will not get the blocks...and can push the AA all the way up to 16X.