Thursday 16 December 2010

Sea fever - 52 weeks of colour, yellow


 When I look at R0bin Helsinki's photos, it sends me back to my own and to mumbling over Photoshop... but OK, yellow. Simple. Reflecting some of the bursts of yellow in...

R0bin's new, unusual and simply gorgeous exhibition at the Vent du Sud Art café. The theme is John Masefield's beautiful poem Sea Fever (read it here), but the photos aren't just of the sea.

Urban scenes of seaside towns, tall ships, birds... it is sheer poetry. Haunting, thought-provoking, and totally DIFFERENT.

Waves lap over the gallery floor, and thanks to some scripting genius (thank you Jeddin Laval - more about him later) the poem drifts past your feet as you step out of the gallery and over to the seashore.

Really worth a look but even more so as R0bin has put each photo out at just 1L (I am stunned at her generosity). Some are translucent, but can easily be modified to become striking art works for your home ( just click on the texture and reduce transparency to 0 - or she will help you do it).

But please, please look. Right here.

I could look at this exhibition for hours, and dream. Much as Christmas red and gold is fun... this makes such a wonderful change.

Fashion? Whole Body Wrap by Ti Zvezda, white linen skirt by The Closet, chain belt by UME. Just the thing to look whimsical in. Oh, and that amazing fallback, the Helena sash by Persona to cover up the bits of tummy. And inventory staple (and the white one in the pack is tintable).

PS: more yellow stuff to come, decor-wise, but first I need to drag myself away from the sea... and I'm leaving you with this extract:
"I must go down to the seas again, for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call that may not be denied;
And all I ask is a windy day with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the blown spume, and the sea-gulls crying".